This site is a guide to the medicinal uses of plants particularly, Philippine medicinal plant – An economical alternative medicine to treat many ailments which is beneficial to many Filipinos specially in this economic crisis. But take note that these herbal medications are similar to over the counter medicine that if symptoms persist, consult a doctor.
Before You Ever Do Anything…..
For each ailments shown in this site, there are several water and herbal treatments suggested to cure or alleviate suffering from it using medicinal plants. (You can find the links to the said pages in the bottom by scrolling down) So before you do anything, just follow the general rules below for guideline:
- Use only one medicinal plant at a time. In treating the ailment, use only one medicinal plant – the one available to you – where several are suggested in the links below.
- Use only stainless steel or earthen cooking utensils. Where treatment calls for boiling any medicinal plant – leaves, flowers or barks – don’t boil it in an aluminum utensil. Aluminum reacts chemically with medicinal plants.
- Don’t cover cooking utensil when boiling. This is done to release toxins, if there are any.
- Boil for a one-day supply only. Any concoction’s effectiveness is good for only 8 – 12 hours after boiling.
- Take concoction either hot or cold. Strain concoction before taking it.
- Wash thoroughly any leaves, barks, flowers and roots with water before boiling or using it as poultice.
- Do not use or boil two or more different herbal plants together, unless instructed to do so.
- Follow instructions carefully, especially the measurements and the dosage.
- Some individuals are sensitive and allergic to certain leaves and plants. If symptoms of allergy are observed during and after the treatment, STOP the treatment immediately, and wash with water thoroughly( for skin applications). Symptoms of allergy are: Increased itching and swelling, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, and headache. Consult a physician immediately if symptoms persist.
- Individuals known to be allergic to some plants are not encourage to use the herbal medications. They may still use the water treatments.
For application of the herbs and water treatments, you can find some treatments for diseases on the links below:
- Alternative Herbal Medicine – List of herbal treatments for illnesses and application of common medicinal plants in Philippines for treatments of common ailments.
- Natural Cure of Water – different kinds of water cure as substitute for herbal treatments if there are no medicinal herbs are available.
If you are interested to see the photos of our local medicinal plants, just follow this link:
- List of Medicinal Plants with Pictures – local names and scientific names, photos of Philippines indigenous medicinal plants and herbs.
Other Interesting topics:
- How to make Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – if you are interested to know something about making or producing virgin coconut oil.
Collections of articles about alternative medicine for example, herbal treatments & other alternative methods.