This plant is very large tree found throughout the Philippines. It grows wild on Mt. Banahaw. Gugo is used extensively in the Philippines for washing hair and for hair tonics. When the bark is soaked in water and rubbed, it produces a lather which cleanses the scalp very effectively. The active principle of the bark is saponin.
- A very large, woody climber. Stems thick as a man’s arm, angled, and much twisted and the bark is dark brown and rough.
- Leaves: tripinnate, the common petioles usually ending in a long tendril. Pinnae stalked, usually 4 in number.
- Leaflets oblong or obovate, 2.5 to 5 cm long, rigidly leathery and smooth.
- Flowers: 2 to 3 mm long, yellowish white, either crowded in long slender spikes from the axils of the upper leaves or arranged in terminal panicles.
- Fruits: pods, few, pendant, 30 to 100 cm long and 7 to 10 cm wide, somewhat curved, slightly constricted between the seeds. Seeds are hard, and circular with their sides flattened.
- For rheumatic lumbar and leg pains, sprains, contusions: use dried vine materials, 15 to 30 gms in decoction.
- For jaundice, edema due to malnutrition: use powdered seeds, 3 to 9 gms taken orally with water.
- Abdominal pains and colic: Pound the kernels of the seeds, mix with oil and apply as poultice onto affected area.
- Counterirritant: Make a paste of the seeds and apply to glandular swellings in the axilla, loins and joints, and swollen hands and feet.
- Hair wash: Soak the prepared bark in water until soft; express the juice by rubbing the spread fibers against each other until lather is produced; use as hair shampoo.
Pingback: Au Naturale: Natural Pinay Beauty Regimens | circle-mag.com
what are the other common names of gugo.i have a plant which is similar with the picture you have published
i would like to ask, where to buy gugo extract here in the philippines.thanks
Where can I obtain GUGO in powder form.
OR any supplier can produce in powder form /or in soap-form.
Difficult to trasport GUGO in liquid -form.
Can you buy gugo plantings? ill buy. 09152513522
@gerry – Try Marietta’s gugo shampoo in Landmark. Search first the pix in google so you know what you are looking for. Tried it and it is great.
Where in Landmark can I buy th gugo shampoo?
Where can i buy this dried gugo materials? please tell me. thanks.
.where i can find gugo in the country
Where can I buy gugo extract?
Can it be bathe and use to treat skin irritation?
hi i would to know if this entada phaselkaudes meer is advisable and effective in treating sore eyes and pteridium the name of the product is EYE ROSE and was approved by DOST. As far entada phaselkaudes k meer is used for treating drandruff and used as shampoo. i need further explanation and studies about this beacuse my mother was using this product for quite many years in she very loyal to this kind of product EYE ROSE.