English: Carrot Tagalog: Karot
Astringent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, sudorific.
Introduced in the Philippines and cultivated for its valuable roots.
Parts used and preparation
Roots contain vitamin A. B, C, E, the minerals phosphorus, potassium, calcium.
- Believed to be beneficial for cancers and kidney problems.
- For coughs and chest afflictions, the roots are boiled in milk; the milk is drunk and a poultice of the root is applied to the chest.
- For burns and infected ulcers, grated carrots are applied to the affected parts.
- Poultice of carrots also used for ulcers, carbuncles, infected wounds.
- Seeds of the plant when ground to powder and taken as tea for colic and to increase urine flow. Tea of carrot blossoms has been used for treatment of dropsy.